Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I found this in the aforementioned book of poetry. I think...I'm...in love.

Currently Listening
I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
By Bright Eyes
see related

Johanna

I've seen you every day this week,
The way the wind sees to the ruffle
Of thick ivy on building faces.
What I mean is: I create these visions--

Johanna at the supermarket rapping knuckles
On the husks of cantaloupes.
No one hears the green shades of fruit
The way you would, produce aisle,

All those Tuesdays I forgot to count.
And you'd spend half an hour picking
A single Fuji apple, you,
The Johanna who picked me.

You bit so carefully into the flesh
The juice would never spray your chin;
You, Johanna with the soft touch,
The welcome mat eyes,

Stop coming to me in flashes
To leave me camera-blind.
Stop splotching my world, Johanna.
Start tinting it.

Kent DeWayne Smith

Copyright ©2006 Kent Dewayne Smith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home