Tuesday, November 23, 2004

I'm so excited that I had to exclaim to someone! My
friend Sarah Marie
wrote me a letter, and she talked about this guy
named Sufjan
Stevens...she was all excited because she purchased
his new album and
discovered he was from Michigan. Well, my mom
picked up two of his
albums from the Library... I'm listening right, and
recognizing the
songs. Not because I've heard the same chord
progression elsewhere,
performed by some mainstream band...he's not that
type of artist. I
racked my brain to figure it out as I swept the
living room floor. Then
slowly the memory eeked into focus...Over The Rhine
at Calvin College
last year. Meg was sitting next to me...it was the
opening act. This
guy walked out with a worker shirt and black rimmed
glasses...I think
there was even tape on the bridge holding the specs
together. He was so
intriguing...his singing was really quiet, almost
comical...but not....
there was a serious nature to all his music. He
clapped everytime we
did with big motion and floppy wrists...without
cracking a smile. I
loved him so much...but couldn't remember his name,
and he didn't have
any merchandise at the time. So I left without any
proof that he really
existed, and didn't find him again til a year later.
Oh people....how
happy an occasion. So happy that I had to interrupt
my cleaning flurry
to tell you. Share in my joy...check out his
site...buy one of his
albums. Love him.
www.sufjan.com or
www.soundsfamilyre.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home