Tuesday, October 26, 2004


We woke from our ancient iron framed beds at 6am
Sunday morning...the
old lodge creaked and moaned with activity and
spraying showers.
Primping and straightening ties...all the wedding
guests had to leave at
7am to drive up to the blue mountain ridge by 8 o'
clock. The trek up
the mountain was killing my nerves and fear mulled
rapidly in my
stomach. It wasn't so much the curves and dramatic
drop offs on the side
of me that were doing it...it was the circling fog
that covered the road
before us. Aunt Lily tried to help by singing a song
about "holding your
head high so no one will know your fear". She held
my hand, but both
gestures irritated me, which also made me feel
rather guilty; she was
just trying to provide comfort...like I said though,
my nerves were
being strangled with every roll of the car's tires.
The further we drove
into the blinding mist, the more I felt excluded
from the world as I
know it, and was beckoned deeper into a land of
mystery and dramatic
intrigue. Yes we reached the ridge colored blue...on
a grassy clearing
an arch covered with garland the color of fall
leaves, sat in a fogless
patch. Relief burned in my heart like the sun I'd
been wishing would
shine, turning the fog to clear air. We got out of
the car and began
layering bulky coats, and umbrellas over sleek
dresses...high heels sunk
into tender ground. The fog still whirled thickly
over and around us.
When music came from car speakers, and a man sang
live above recorded
notes...all fifty of the guests created a semi
circle around the autumn
colored arch way. We looked into distant mist
waiting for the bride and
her father...a sweet love song being sung behind us.
The dark
silhouettes conquered through, and my breath was
stolen by the fantastic
sight...my cousin was beautiful. Her velvet gown
just brushed the tops
of her shoes, it's burgundy color blending
spectacularly with a black
hooded cloak. A classic medieval head dress, jewels
the shade of her
dress woven into silver links, came to a triangular
point just above her
brow. Hair accented in braids. Gorgeous...what made
it so lovely is that
it suited her, and perfectly. The groom waited in
black suit, and
burgundy shirt, his long locks tied back half way
with two braids. All
the while the man kept singing in wonderful tone
their love for each
other. The fog only added to the mystical beauty of
it all. Fear was
lifted from my heart, I knew that the wedding would
not have been the
same without the chilly covering. They looked at
each other with such
ardent intent...Jessica smiled radiantly throughout
the entire ceremony,
and Garrett cried as he read the vows he'd written
with deep admiration
and insight on his love for her. The rings were
exchanged...and I won't
get to descriptive with the kiss, don't want to send
you all too far off
the edge of romanticism. I will say this..it was
more of a conversation
than a kiss...it spoke of things like purity and
whispered sweet sighs
of accomplishment...even mentioned the beginning
steps of maturity in a
real relationship.



Everyone sigh with me. The reception is another post
:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home