Thursday, February 09, 2006

Cars and a Closet.

I arrived home yesterday after spending pert near a month with some lovely people that i...love. Mom and I went to Trader Joe's on the way home, and I bought two packages of the best snack ever in the world. Baked snap peas; buy them, eat them, they taste like my mom's chicken pot pie.
It felt good to get home, the debris that had been in my bedroom before I left, was removed. Also my own messes that I left had been picked up and placed neatly in my CLOSET. Yes, my poppa made me a closet for my room. I haven't had one since we moved into this home 7 years ago. I peed just a little when I found out what he'd done for me. Thank you poppa thank you.

Niah got home a little bit later from work, I hugged him, heard him talk about his last three weeks. Then lectured him, when he asked me about how many times mom used his phone that day...I told him he was acting spoiled, that he shouldn't be counting the phone minutes our mother used on his phone, when our parents just gave him a car...that I had to pay for my car that got smashed, and the whole family depended on for awhile. He glared at me and I backed off, I had just gotten home after all.

We all sat around then; Momma, Saiah, Niah and I, waiting for poppa to get home from his first day at his new job. Mom got a phone call, and said she had to go pick him up someplace...so I finished making the cilantro and lentil stew, while she did that. When they got home dad asked me to check the van's glove box for the Linford Detweiler tickets he bought...there was some confusion as to what night the show was on. I walked outside, let the bitter wind take my breath away as my eyes caught a glimpse of this baby.





I yelled in the door, asking my dad what this was all about...that's really how I asked. He said: "well, um oh...just check that glove box." I knew at this point that the car was mine. I opened the door, slid my butt across leather, and dad handed me the keys. The car fired right up, no pumping the gas pedal, no tricks, just easy continuous purring. Then what entered my ears through the bose speakers? Over The Rhine...beautiful Over The Rhine, no muffled tape decks, just quality sound. I started asking questions at this point..."It's and Infinti '93, the poor man's version of a Lexus, Johanna, this truly deserves the title classy, that's leather you're sitting on; did you see the sun roof?" All I found out about the price was that it was a gift to me, and I wasn't to worry about anything else...except that a young good looking christian guy had been involved. Oh of course they would say that :)

Anyway...my car was smashed, the good ole' classy rests her creaking body in Detroit, and I have a new beautiful, nicer than anything I've ever had, car...that cost me none of the eight hundred dollars that I got from the guy who ran into my other car...yeah...you can do the calculating. I'm gonna drive my car.

1 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger Isaiah and Elise said...

Nice car. We know muffled tape decks all too well. I remedied that with a donated Discman and tape adapter. It actually sounds better than I thought through the puny front speakers (no subs in this car).

We just got a new car with a sunroof and loaded-power-everything. It's old thought. 91. And with 114,000 miles. But the price was right: free.

We miss you guys. You said you went to Trader Joe's. Out eastside? Or were you in Chitown and didn't tell us?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home